1. WHAT OTEX EXPRESS IS AND WHAT IT IS USED FOR:
• Otex Express ear drops are used to help remove hardened wax from the ear canal.
• Otex Express is suitable for use by adults, children and the elderly.
• It works by breaking down the ear wax into small pieces.
• Excessive, hardened ear wax is quite common. It causes problems when it
builds up and blocks the ear canal. The first symptom is usually a feeling
of discomfort and fullness in the ear. This can become painful and cause
dizziness and some loss of hearing if left untreated.
• Otex Express makes removal of ear wax easier, and in many cases avoids
the need for ear syringing.
2. BEFORE YOU USE OTEX EXPRESS
Do not use Otex Express:
• if you are allergic (hypersensitive) to any of the ingredients of Otex Express listed
in Section 6.
• if you have a history of ear problems, unless used under the close supervision
of your doctor, nurse or pharmacist.
• if you are also putting anything else in the ear (such as other ear drops or a hearing aid).
• if your ear drum is (or has been) damaged.
• if you suffer from dizziness.
• if there is anything else wrong with your ear - such as pain, swelling, discharge,
infection or tinnitus (ringing sounds in the ear).
• if you have tried to remove the ear wax using fingernails, cotton buds or other
implements. (This is because you might have damaged the delicate inner liningof the ear, leading to swelling or
infection.) This could make it painful
to use the ear drops.
• if you have had your ear syringed in the last 2 to 3 days – this could also make
it painful to use the eardrops.
Take special care when using this product:
• If you are in any doubt whether this product is suitable for you, talk to your
doctor, nurse or pharmacist before use. If Otex Express gets into the eyes
• Take care to avoid getting Otex Express in your eyes.
• If this happens, rinse the eye immediately with water for 10 to 15 minutes, holding
the eyelids apart and avoiding getting the rinse liquid in the other eye.
• Tell your doctor or pharmacist if irritation persists.
Using other medical products and hearing aids
• It is important not to use Otex Express while you are putting anything else in the ear (such as other ear drops or a
• Otex Express is not known to affect, or to be affected by, any other kinds of
medicines that you may be using. Pregnancy and breast-feeding
Otex Express can be used during pregnancy and while breast-feeding. The ingredients
have been in widespread use in this and similar preparations for many years, without
reports of problems. However, safety trials have not been conducted.
Driving and using machinery Using this product is not known to affect
your ability to drive or use machinery. However, the build up of ear wax can cause
dizziness, and this may be made worse by using the ear drops (see Section 4). If you
are affected, do not drive or use machinery.
3. HOW TO USE OTEX EXPRESS
Only use Otex Express in the ears. For adults, children and the elderly:
Repeat the following once or twice daily, normally for 3 to 4 days, until you notice
an improvement in your hearing and less discomfort:
• Turn the cap anti-clockwise.
(This will break the seal when you use the drops for the first time).
• Remove the cap to reveal the applicator nozzle.
• Tilt your head and gently squeeze up to 5 drops into the ear.
• Keep your head tilted for a few minutes so that the drops stay in the ear.
• Then wipe away any surplus with a tissue.
• Repeat in the other ear, if necessary.
• Wash hands after use.
• Do not “plug” the ears with loose cotton wool.
• Always replace the cap after use and return the bottle to the carton.
Note that in some cases excessive ear wax may persist for more than 3 to 4 days,
despite softening. If the wax is very hard, the ear drops alone may not be able to
clear the ear canal. This may cause some temporary loss of hearing. In these cases
you should consult your doctor, nurse or pharmacist for further advice.
If you use more Otex Express than you should
Do not worry if you use too much Otex Express. Simply wipe away any surplus
running from the ear with a tissue. If you forget to use Otex Express
Do not worry if you occasionally forget to use Otex Express. When you remember,
just carry on using this product once or twice daily as usual.
If you have any further questions on the use of this product, ask your doctor or
4. POSSIBLE SIDE EFFECTS
Like all ear drops, Otex Express can cause side effects, although not everybody gets them.
• A temporary mild bubbling sensation in the ear can occur (due to the release
of oxygen as the drops break down the ear wax).
• The ear drops can make the symptoms of excessive ear wax worse, including some discomfort, irritation or pain, loss
of hearing, dizziness and tinnitus (ringing sound in the ear).
• Very rarely, an unpleasant taste has been reported. Stop using the ear.