Chanazine 2% Injection for use in cattle, horses, dogs and cats 25ml.
Chanazine 10% is a sedative with analgesic and muscle relaxant properties for use in horses only in many cases where sedation is required, including:
1Handling fractious animals e.g. for transportation.
2Medical examinations e.g. X-ray examination, removal of bandages, examination of the penis and oral cavity.
3Premedication for minor superficial operations and local or regional anaesthesia.
4Elimination of defaecation when examining and treating the vagina, uterus and hindquarters.
Dosage and administration
Chanazine 10% is given by slow intravenous injection. Dosage is dependent on the degree of sedation required and the response of the animal, and is 0.5 – 1 ml/100 kg (0.5 - 1 mg/kg) bodyweight. Nervous or excitable horses may require higher doses. Older horses and those having undergone severe physical exertion before treatment should receive the lowest dose rate. Animals do not usually become recumbent after administration and light to deep sedation with a variable degree of analgesia is obtained. Effects are usually seen within 5 minutes and persist for approximately 20 minutes. Chanazine 10% may be employed as a premedication to barbiturate anaesthesia or in combination with regional or local anaesthesia.
Contra-indications, warnings, etc
Not for use in horses intended for human consumption.
Do not administer by the intra-carotid route.
Careful consideration should be given before administering to animals exposed to stress conditions such as extreme heat, cold, high altitude or fatigue.
Side Effects such as bradycardia, cardiac arrhythmia and polyuria may occur.
Following intravenous administration, a transient rise followed by a fall in blood pressure usually occurs. Should be used with caution when pulmonary disease is suspected.
Sedation is dose dependent and the occurrence of side effects will increase and worsen at higher dosage than recommended.
Chanazine 10% should not be administered in the later stages of pregnancy because of the risk of inducing premature parturition. As the safety of xylazine use during organogenesis has not been fully demonstrated by current methods it should be used with caution during the first month of pregnancy.
For animal treatment only. Keep out of reach of children.
Horses sedated with Xylazine usually remain standing and may still kick with accuracy.
Xylazine is an alpha adrenoceptor agonist acting primarily on alpha-2 receptors. Precaution should be taken to avoid accidental injection/self-injection. Wash splashes from skin and eyes immediately.
1. In the case of accidental oral intake or self-injection, seek medical advice immediately and show the package leaflet to the doctor but DO NOT DRIVE as sedation and changes in blood pressure may occur.
2. Avoid skin, eye or mucosal contact.
3. Immediately after exposure, wash the exposed skin with large amounts of fresh water.
4. Remove contaminated clothes that are in direct contact with skin.
5. In the case of accidental contact of the product with eyes, rinse with large amounts of fresh water. If symptoms occur, seek the advice of a doctor.
6. If pregnant women handle the product, special caution should be observed not to self inject as uterine contractions and decreased foetal blood pressure may occur after accidental systemic exposure.
7. Advice to Doctors: Xylazine is an alpha2-adrenoreceptor agonist. Symptoms after absorption may involve clinical effects including dose-dependent sedation, respiratory depression, brachycardia, hypotension, a dry mouth, and hyperglycaemia. Ventricular arrhythmias have also been reported. Respiratory and haemodynamic symptoms should be treated symptomatically.
Any unused veterinary medicinal product or waste materials derived from such veterinary medicinal products should be disposed of in accordance with local requirements.
Do not store above 25°C. Following withdrawal of the first dose, use the product within 28 days. For the ease of calculation of dates, the date of broaching of the product must be written in the box provided on the bottle label.
Legal category: POM-V
Vials of 50 ml.